Sunday, January 13, 2-4, Open House
Wednesday, January 16, 6:30-8 p.m., Parent Orientation
Sunday, February 3, 1-2:30 p.m., Parent Orientation
All 2013-2014 Kindergarten Applications are due Friday, February 8, 2013, by 4:00 p.m.
Annual Open House - Sunday, January 13, 2-4 p.m. Families interested in learning more about Ann Arbor Open School are encouraged to attend the Open House. This event is an informal gathering where families may tour the school, visit with current families and staff, and receive application materials. Children are welcome to attend. Attendance at the Open House is not a requirement for enrollment at Ann Arbor Open, but may help families decide if our school is a good match for their needs.
Ann Arbor Open School enrolls children in grades K-8 who reside in the Ann Arbor School District. Incoming Kindergarteners are chosen by random selection. Incoming students at grades 1st-8th are placed on a waiting list on a first come, first served basis, and siblings of current students receive preference for enrollment.
- Kindergarten Applications for the 2013-14 school year are available beginning November 12th, 2012.
- We will begin accepting Kindergarten applications on Monday, January 7th.
- The final due date for Kindergarten applications is Friday, February 8th, at 4:00 pm.
For students in grades K-8 to be eligible for enrollment in Ann Arbor Open School, you must complete one or two visits to the school. Visits may take place either before or after enrollment is offered, but must be completed before the student is officially admitted to the school. In order to make the most informed decision, and to allow the process to unfold smoothly, we urge parents of potential Kindergarten students to attend either a tour or a parent orientation before February 11th if at all possible.
There are two ways to fulfill this visit requirement:
Option 1: Two visits
Option 2: Staff-Led Tour
- One visit is approximately 45 minutes during the school day. You will be placed in a classroom to observe. The teacher may ask you to help in some way. ALL visitors must sign in at the office and receive a visitor name tag. Please schedule this visit with the office staff.
- The other visit is an orientation session. Ann Arbor Open parents facilitate small group discussions designed to answer your questions and introduce you to the Open School community. Please let the office staff know which session you plan to attend if you choose this option.
- Wednesday, January 16, 6:30-8:00 p.m. (only adults please)
Sunday, February 3, 1:00-2:30 p.m. (only adults please)
- Tour the school during the school day with the Principal or another member of the staff. These tours are available throughout the enrollment season and may be scheduled by calling the school office at 994-1910. Tours last 60 to 90 minutes, and include a thorough orientation to the Open Program.
Both Option 1 & Option 2 visits are made without your child, and may be made in any order. For those families who have an older child, a visit by the student during the school day may be arranged after enrollment is offered.
Kindergarten enrollment for the following year begins soon after the Random Selection, which takes place on February 11, 2013. Parents will be notified of their randomly selected number beginning on February 12, 2013. Enrollment for all other grades continues throughout the spring and summer as spaces become available. Once a space is offered, families usually have a week in which to visit the school (if they have not already done so) and make their decision.
We hope this information has been helpful to you. If you have any additional questions or needs, please feel free to call our office at (734) 994-1910. We look forward to meeting you!